Re: [ARSCLIST] Disaster Recovery-LPs. Part 2

Mike Richter wrote:

> David Lennick wrote:
> > I purchased  LPs from Hobart-William Smith College.. Many of the spoken word LPs had a foggy surface..
> > These albums were in heavy plastic jackets and I wonder if they were responsible for trapping moisture and pollutants over a 40-year period?
>
> That surface is characteristic of the leaching plasticizer of which I
> just wrote. If that's the problem, the discs are not recoverable by any
> means I found. They quickly become effectively unplayable with excess
> surface noise.
>
> Mike
> --

These weren't inner sleeves though, but thick flexible library sleeves with the entire album INSIDE. No direct contact between plastic and disc, and in fact many of the discs were in the original cardboard sleeves without liners. Would the library sleeves have trapped moisture and chemicals inside and caused the filmy effect?

dl