Re: [ARSCLIST] Disaster Recovery-LPs. Part 2

David Lennick wrote:
This reminds me..a couple of months ago I purchased a couple of thousand 78s and LPs from Hobart-William Smith College in Geneva NY (I think Steve will be familiar with some of this collection, having assessed part of it). Many of the spoken word LPs had a foggy surface, even though the discs appeared unplayed and some of the sign-out cards looked unused.
These albums were in heavy plastic jackets and I wonder if they were responsible for trapping moisture and pollutants over a 40-year period?

That surface is characteristic of the leaching plasticizer of which I just wrote. If that's the problem, the discs are not recoverable by any means I found. They quickly become effectively unplayable with excess surface noise.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/