[ARSCLIST] Record Compound was Records History

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello, List Members,

just because a record is lightweight and not shellac, it is not necessarily
vinyl. Vinyl, or rather polyvinyl chloride, is only one component with
designable properties that may be used. Through the 1930s and with greater
intensity during WW2 cellulose acetate compounds were increasingly used with
other components as a shellac substitute. India was not a reliable source
when the U-boats reigned. Shellac is only the binding component in shellac
discs - the heavy and durable stuff is slate dust. And do not forget the
carbon black - the records would look like concrete without it. So without a
proper chemical analysis of the records discussed in the present thread as
"vinyl", it is difficult to say what they are.

As long as records were pressed, the plastic of choice from the early 1950s
had a large polyvinyl chloride content, but when injection molding of singles
started in the 1960s, even polystyrene components were used.

Kind regards,

George