Re: [ARSCLIST] looking for advice on cylinders

In addition to the Laser-scan research at Belfer, Southampton University
in the UK are working in collaboration with Carl Haber and Vitaliy
Fadeyev at Berkeley on 3D image scanning of cylinders, as seen here:
www.mech.soton.ac.uk/archivesound.

The site isn't fully up to date and the audio comparisons aren't
perfect, but it's still very early days and results are encouraging. It
won't overcome the mould problem which Susan S and Steven CB have
described, but will hopefully be a big step forward in transferring
cracked or broken cylinders, amongst other advantages.

Will

Will Prentice
Technical Services
British Library Sound Archive          Tel: +44 (0)20-7412-7443
96 Euston Road                         Fax: +44 (0)20-7412-7416
London NW1 2DB                         http://www.bl.uk
UK            			         http://cadensa.bl.uk (online
catalogue)