From: Michael Shoshani <mshoshani@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Metal Parts
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:42:11 -0500

Kurt Nauck <nauck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Greetings All
>
>What is the preferred method of cleaning and storing metal parts?
>
>I would think that alcohol would be a safe and effective cleaning agent.

I believe record companies actually cleaned them with naphtha. Victor
stored them vertically in large envelopes, or so they showed in the
promo film "Command Performance"

>Should anything be applied to keep them from corroding (gun oil, perhaps)?

Weren't fathers and stampers usually copper with a nickel backing?
Gun oil might work; you need something to keep the copper from turning
green, but removable so that the recording itself is accessible. I
don't remember what mothers and matrices were made from, or whether
those are susceptible to corrosion...

Michael Shoshani
Chicago IL