Re: [ARSCLIST] Another little chemistry observation

We have had problems with tape on this same type of reel - it appears
there is a kind of adhesive that holds the metal clips in, and it causes
some chemical _eating_ of the tape surface on those spots, from the hub
outwards for up to an inch.  Many years ago I went through our 7-inch
reels of tape to find all those solid reels with the metal clips, and I
transferred the tapes to new reels, and ditched the old reels with metal
clips.  Many of those tapes have now been transferred, so any further
deterioration by residue will not affect the preservation copies.

Sue

Susan T Stinson, Curator
Belfer Audio Laboratory and Archive
Syracuse University Library
222 Waverly Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13244-2010
315-443-3477 / fax 443-4866

>>> ArcLists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 09/14/05 5:58 PM >>>
I just transferred a reel of acetate tape that had been stored on a
Scotch/3M auto-threading reel. It has solid sides (no windows) and
three springy clips in the walls near the hubs. From the outside, the
clips are chrome-ish. From the inside they are green.

There was some starting of blocking (layer-to-layer adhesion) of the
wraps of tape near the hub.

There was no significant vinegar smell.

The tape/reel had been stored at approx. 21C 43%RH with limited
swings for the last year, prior to that I don't know, but I think it
had been in climate controlled storage.

I suspect this odd reel is not allowing the centre of the tape back
to breathe much and concentrating whatever outgassing of the tape
pack. Also, another very loose tape pack on the outside (not in the
centre).

I'm not sure what this means, but I would think this supports the
need to at least examine the acetate tapes in your collection and
also look especially if you have this reel.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                           email:
richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vignettes

Detailed contact information: