Re: [ARSCLIST] Reducing soundcard/circuit noise

D Basson wrote:
Dear Group members

I recently bought a Dell Optiplex GX620 computer with Windows XP. I use a Terratec DMX6Fire soundcard. When I make recordings using Adobe Audition or Wavelab, I get a buzzing noise - a problem I have never had with my previous computer. Can anyone perhaps help me solve the problem?

There are some good, inexpensive external ADC boxes such as from ADS Tech, to say nothing of the more elaborate ones from Creative. They are easy enough to interface to permit borrowing a unit just to find out whether that would solve your problem.

There are several different potential causes which can be analyzed from the sound produced. For example, if the buzz is uniform in both loud and quiet passages, spectral analysis will usually identify the culprit in the electrickery; if it varies with the audio signal, the cause may be in the sound card. Unfortunately, I've had faulty 'cards' which were built into the motherboard and could not be killed; in one case, I sold the computer to start over from a decent starting point.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/