Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Another little chemistry observation

Don Tait wrote:

>   Richard is correct about Scotch/3M auto-threading reels. They were and are
> a menace. Another bad, apparently untested idea passed off as progress. I used
> a few when they were introduced during the 1960s. Some years later I noticed
> just what Richard mentioned: the tape on the inside of the spools was sticky
> and irremediably damaged. The leaking adhesive had made the coating containing
> the sound glue to the top of the layer wound below. My tapes were Mylar, not
> acetate, but it didn't matter.
>
>   Don Tait

Luckily I used primarily professional tape so those self-threaders didn't come my
way. Besides, there are all sorts of other ways to ruin tape, starting with not
removing the sticky tab (a habit of TV technicians who used 5" reels of tape on Nagra
recorders). Then there are the ones who should be shot and piston for pulling the
last 10 inches of tape down inside the reel, across all the tape layers, causing
lovely dropouts.

dl