Re: [ARSCLIST] Unique record-related scents

I'd love to find out what the Mercury smell is (a type of glue, or the ink used?). If I found out, I'd make a bottle and apply it to all the classical records in the collection. I think it's something in the litho process. It seems to come from the jacket (to me). I'll smell the labels and see if that presents a stronger smell.
Phillip
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Tait" <Dontaitchicago@xxxxxxx>
And the pungent scent of
Mercury LPs from that time? I remember that at the record store I patronized,
one always knew one was near the Mercuries because one could smell them. The
scent seemed to come from something used on their labels because when they
issued some Philips-licensed things beginning around 1961 (Richter, Mengelberg)
the records had the same unique, pungent scent.

A pointless thing, probably. Sorry.