Re: [ARSCLIST] A tape Vinegar Syndrome experience

Richard L. Hess wrote:
Steve,

See David Lennick's post tonight about his 111.

Was Kodak a bargain brand or a premium brand that wasn't properly marketed and failed in the marketplace? I thought the latter, but I could be wrong.

It was a moderately priced brand, but far from "bargain" when I bought a half-dozen reels in about 1963. Kept in the cardboard boxes tightly wound, all failed in a half-dozen years. The binder adhered firmly to the backing - more firmly than to the proper side, firmly enough to leave the oxide a powder in the deck when played. Even manual unwinding of the first meter or so made it clear that they were beyond recovery.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/