Re: [ARSCLIST] A tape Vinegar Syndrome experience

>From my recent research on nitrocellulose discs ("acetates", a
misnomer) and their deterioration, I suspect that VS and palmitic
acid (PA) share at least one thing in common - they are both
autocatalytic reactions (ie. VS and PA deterioration are
accelerated in the presence of acid, and VS and PA both produce
acid).

I conjecture that an ideal container for tapes would be an
acid-free cardboard box that is buffered.  As a tape deteriorates
and produces acetic acid, the box absorbs and neutralizes the
acids with its buffer.  This mitigates the autocatalytic nature
of VS.

Lacking a buffer in plastic or metal containers, air circulation
is important to keep the concentration of acid down.

Given the prevalence of plastic and other semi-inert containers,
it might make sense to just place a piece of acid-free buffered
cardboard in with your tape, which will provide enough of a
buffer to protect the tape from itself.

Nothing like an extra line of defense.  And its relatively
cheap, too.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive
www.TheAudioArchive.com