Re: [ARSCLIST] Basic studio setup

At 07:48 AM 9/8/2005, Eric Jacobs wrote:
If you don't have a data backup and archiving system, you
may find that you'll be rapidly overwhelmed with GB or TB
(Terabytes) of audio files depending on how much material
you transfer.  So keep backup and retrieval in mind if you
don't already have these things in place.  Ideally you can
piggy-back on your IT department for this.

Nothing worse than losing all that hard transfer work.  I
would not entrust your data to external/portable hard
disks, as convenient as they might be.

Great advice, Eric, but just to clarify, with proper strategy there is nothing wrong with using multiple external/portable hard disks. I'm not a proponent of just putting them on the shelf, however.

Also, in the other message, I'm running 11 Windows machines here and the only major headaches I've had have been external (like a hosting provider who didn't follow the Internet RFCs and STDs which caused my ISP to have me blacklisted). The only failures I've had in the past year this has been set up (some of the gear is as old as from 1998) has been one file damaged in the OS on one of the family machines (a quick trip to the Ghost of that machine fixed it), a bad hard drive in one of the NAS boxes (easily replaced and rebuilt) and something flaky with one copy of Explorer that was a corrupt configuration and changing one registry key fixed it. Configuration takes time, but this system is rather robust, with one NAS (network attached storage) box soon to move to my neighbours at the end of a 100Mb/s fibre optic link.

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/