[ARSCLIST] Applying new backing to old recording tapes for the purposes of transfer

Hello,

I have a tape that I cannot get to play as it was left too near a source of heat for too long. It is about 0.18 inches wide instead of 0.24 and is very dry and brittle.

I have attempted all the usual tricks, including hydration, but there is only one way of transferring this that I am aware of:

Apply new backing to the tape.

Has anyone done this?

What I am imagining is a source spool of 1/4" wide by 1200 foot long roll of 3M correction tape with a Post-It note like surface - in fact, it would be good to be 7/32" wide. Of course, with the tape being narrower than this in many spots, we'd need a way of de-activating the adhesive where there is no tape.

I see putting this down manually (can you say tedious?) on a custom - made 3-spindle device that would look something like a 3-spindle KEM editor, but with manual rewinds.

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/