Re: [ARSCLIST] Any feedback on the status of Hogan Archive at Tulane University (in New Orleans)

Parker wrote:
> Jon Noring wrote:

[quoting Terry Teachout]

>> "A question to anyone in the New Orleans area who is familiar with the
>> situation on the ground: is anything known about the condition of the Hogan
>> Archive at Tulane University? This is one of the most important collections of
>> primary-source jazz documentation in the world, and I'm starting to get
>> questions about it from scholars. Has it survived the flood, and if so, in
>> what condition?"

> This collection is housed on an upper floor of the Howard-Tilton Memorial
> Library, well above flood waters. Wind damage is an open question at this
> point.

Any reports if the library sustained damage which would have let in
wind and water during the storm? And will the collection be secure the
next few months? The security situation in New Orleans is faintly
reminiscent of that in Baghdad after the fall of Saddam.

>> This only strengthens my view that the #1 priority for archives of
>> unique materials should be to digitize them -- and if possible make the
>> digital copies *publicly available* so they can be mirrored in various
>> digital archives worldwide (as the Internet Archive does.)

> And exactly why does the writer think that it isn't their #1 priority?

Well, good point. I don't know regarding Hogan Archive.

My comment was a general statement rather than being specific to
Hogan.

Jon