Re: [ARSCLIST] Any feedback on the status of Hogan Archive at Tulane University (in New Orleans)

I have not heard any word as to the status of the Hogan
Archive.  Even if there was no direct water damage, a large
mold problem could occur.  In 1998, the University of New
Orleans had widespread mold damage on almost 1 million
volumes.  The general humidity levels in New Orleans are
extremely high . . . compound that with no electricity for
air conditioning and dehumidification . . .

http://www.artsjournal.com/aboutlastnight/archives20050828.shtml#102347

> Further down the blog author, Terry Teachout, writes:
>
> "A question to anyone in the New Orleans area who is
> familiar with the situation on the ground: is anything
> known about the condition of the Hogan Archive at Tulane
> University? This is one of the most important collections
> of primary-source jazz documentation in the world, and I'm
> starting to get questions about it from scholars. Has it
> survived the flood, and if so, in what condition?"
>

> This only strengthens my view that the #1 priority for
> archives of unique materials should be to digitize them --
> and if possible make the digital copies *publicly
> available* so they can be mirrored in various digital
> archives worldwide (as the Internet Archive does.)
>
> Jon Noring

Greg Johnson
Blues Curator and Assistant Professor
The University of Mississippi