Re: [ARSCLIST] long range file storage

Andy -

I am new to this field, working in my spare time to get funding to preserve
one of those "Folk Heritage Collections In Crisis" - several hundred
reel-to-reel tapes of recordings of folk festivals, coffee house
performances, and field recordings. I'm getting some superb help from John
Vallier at UCSD, among others. We will definitely be doing the burning
archival CDs routine, with copies going to UCLA and the LOC. I work,
however, in a school district where we have a sophisticated system of
servers and tape backups. (I don't manage this - we have a network engineer
working for the district.) I can see the advantage to using a system such
as this - properly designed and engineered it requires minimal tending and
could free the archivist/technician to concentrate on matters more germain
to the mission, such as disseminating information and creating access.

Russ