From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 1:20 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio Digitization & Duplication Work Station

Hi, Katie,

I downloaded a copy of Audacity and perhaps I'm spoiled, but it
doesn't seem to manage CD track marks and writing CDs from within the
program. Does Cool Edit do that?

Audacity looks like a competent editor, however, and you can generate MP3s.

I would suggest that you look at "Audio Cleaning Lab" from
www.magix.com which is a consumer version of the software I use. $30
for the downloaded version
http://site.magix.net/index.php?id=21391&no_cache=1 Don't over-do the
cleaning tools <smile>.

If you want to make transcription cassettes while recording to the
PC, then you need a "Y" cord to split the audio into the PC's sound
card (hopefully a good one) and the cassette recorder.

If you have multiple sources of material, then you need a switcher
ahead of that.

If some of your sources are digital, and you have a digital input to
the sound card, you can use an audio/video switch and switch the
digital as well as the analog and use the digital input to the sound
card when available.

Radio Shack used to have 4-input switchers for VAA
(Video/Audio/Audio) that would work for this application. All you
need is a passive switch. This is different from what I have, but
should work. $20US

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-1983

Here is a potential run-list of cable connections:

D=digital audio on RCA jack, going to the composite video connectors
on the switch (typically yellow)
L=Left Analog Audio
R=Right Analog Audio (both on RCA Jacks)

MD Player DLR to switcher in 1
CD Player DLR to switcher in 2
Cassette Player LR to switcher in 3
Microcassette player through "Y" cord to LR of swicher in 4

Switcher Out LR to "Y" cords (2).
Y Cords out 1 LR to sound card analog input (typically an RCA to mini
stereo plug cable needed here)
Y Cords out 2 LR to cassette recorder input

Note: two cassette machines are preferable as that allows you to copy
cassette to cassette. A dual-well machine could be used, but it would
make workflow more difficult.

Switcher Out D to computer sound card digital input.

Look at http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/compare/index.htm to find
a good sound card.

At 10:21 AM 8/4/2005, McCormick, Kathleen wrote:

>Currently we are using Cool Edit software to create .wav files & MP3s
>but one of our major stakeholders wants us to switch to using the
>freeware Audacity.

Richard L. Hess                           email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vignettes