[ARSCLIST] Paul Hoeffler

A number of members of this list may have known Paul "Buck"
Hoeffler..photographer, collector, jazz enthusiast, occasional record producer.
His photographs can still be found on many Vanguard lps (PDQ Bach among them)
and many of his pictures of jazz greats were used in Ken Burns' Jazz series a
couple of years ago. I'd known him since we were both reaching for the same
Leopold Stokowski 78 in the downtown Goodwill Store on Jarvis Street in Toronto
in the early 70s.

And I was shocked to learn yesterday that he'd died on the weekend.

Here's an article from today's Globe and Mail:

Photographer Paul Hoeffler, who came to international attention in the 1990s
with his images of American jazz musicians from the 1950s, died of cancer in
Toronto on July 30. He was 67.

Born in Buffalo, Mr. Hoeffler began photographing musicians in Rochester jazz
clubs while studying in his teens at that city's Institute of Technology.

Many of his most famous performance shots and informal portraits -- Louis
Armstrong, Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, the Oscar Peterson Trio, Jimmy Smith
- date either to this period or to the early 1960s in New York.

Mr. Hoeffler also photographed noted classical musicians during his New York
years.

 After moving to Toronto in 1971, he took a wide range of commercial
assignments but continued to photograph classical musicians for record covers
and magazines.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050802/OBHOEFF02/TPObituaries/

dl