From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 1:22 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Playing Records Backward

In a message dated 7/25/2005 2:32:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sirnailheadjr@xxxxxxxx writes:
Out of
curiosity I'd be interested to know what playing an LP backwards would do
to the grooves and if it would cause long term damage that would affect
it when played properly.  Thanks.  Randy
************

I think that the "cue burn" on radio station records was mostly caused by
very frequent, repeated and rapid reversing of the record rotation with
relatively high tracking forces.  Playing in the reverse direction at normal
speeds
shouldn't cause excessive wear to a clean record. However the tendency of
the
stylus to "dig into" the groove when hitting as scratch or dust particle
might
increase the damage done by playing a record that is in poor condition
already.

As to the tone arm and pivot, with a modern cartridge, if it is rugged
enough
to be manually handled, it should be able to withstand the forces required
fold the cantilever back on itself if the stylus hits a crack or deep pit in
the record!

Mike Csontos