Re: [ARSCLIST] Speed correction

Like Mike, I've used Audition and Cool Edit Pro to correct speed
variations of tape dubs made from acetates, it's worked like a charm
(but, as Mike pointed out, it's not necessarily an automatic process).

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions

Mike Richter wrote:

Steven Smolian wrote:

I'm aware there are programs to correct the pitch of pop singers,
though my own solution might involve a bit more direct intervention-
but I'm off topic already.

Has anyone experience using such programs to correct speed drift on
78s, speed correction for chamber music recordings, say solo fiddle
to string quartets, orchestral recordings, and on spoken word
recordings- four distinct areas.

Steve Smolian

I have used the sliding speed correction of Adobe Audition (and CoolEdit
Pro before that) to approximate speed on transcription discs of 1930s
Met broadcasts. More precisely, the work was on transfers of the discs,
not on the 'acetates' themselves.

The result in each case was used to determine only that the remaining
speed instability was too great (primarily, eccentric wow) to make
recovery feasible. The operation (sliding speed) was a success but the
patient died.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx