applying a cat-a-tonic would do the job.

Sorry, it's late in the day.

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "George Brock-Nannestad" <pattac@xxxxxxxx> To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 3:25 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] vinyl noise

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

first of all, the noise of an unworn LP should be mainly the master tape
noise, which traditionally may be audible between selections (except where
the cutting engineer actually turned down the volume, which would also cut
the tape noise. Secondly, if these LPs have been played "wet" (with
Lencoclean), then they will be noisier during later dry replay. It has been
speculated that wet playing removed some surfactants in the vinylite mix
itself. My files are in disarray, so I cannot just this moment find the JAES
paper that describes this.

One solution that may work is to use unhomogenized milk to wet the surface
during your replay for transfer. A good cleaning job may be subsequently
expected (would a cat do?).

Kind regards,

George

Steven Smolian wrote:
I have all three.  None of these seem to deal effectively with the noise
made by the contact of the stylus with the record surface.  The test I've
used
is removing or substantially reducing the sound coming from the bands
between
selections without affecting the sound of the music on either side.

Steve Smolian