[ARSCLIST] Fixing broken shellac phonograph records...

For a client, I'm reviewing ways of restoring a rare but broken 78 rpm shellac
record of the type Victor was pressing in the early 30's.

I recall there was a discussion somewhere about fixing a broken shellac record
so it could be played... it involved gluing the pieces together or some other
related method.

Although I have a few methods of my own, this does present some difficulties to
get the pieces (in this case one "half moon" approximately 1/3 piece) to match
up sufficiently accurately at both ends... and stay that way long enough to
transfer the disc so digital processes can be further used.

The object is to get the parts lined up so the disturbance at the join takes on
the characteristics of a click that can be removed by de-click process rather
than a much longer duration "thump" that requires expensive time consuming
manual edit processes like CEDAR's de-thump or re-touch.

Is anyone known to do this record repair work or does anyone have details of
what was done and the procedures used?

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's new CAMBRIDGE processes.