Re: [ARSCLIST] BST turntables for 78

Francesco Martinelli:

> can you tell me what are you using

I started out with a Thorens TD 124 MKI in 1961.

Then went to the TD124 MKII which I´ve still got. But it isn´t used
anymore since it has too much rumble for my taste.

I went on to the Sony TTS 3000 in 1969. I still has two of them. Very
low levels of rumble, some amount of 50/60 Hz hum induced in the most
sensitive pick ups ie DECCA/London. But I cured this by mounting the
power supply transformer outside of the table. I used Rabco SL8E and the
Miller & Kreisler balsa arm SL8E modified units on these two.

But the rubber belt from the motor unit to the platter only lasts a year
at the most and needs constant retensioning or it slips and the quality
went downhill so fast that these two aren´t used any more either.

BTW, the original orange belt lasted nearly 10 years but the later black
one one year at their best.

I then went on to the Technics SP10 MKII and I have three of them. One
has been modified for variable speed to deal with off speed disks.

I use several different SME arms on these three together with the Rabco
SL8E arms that I still have.

I also have an EMT 948.

The exceptionally low levels of rumble and wow and flutter of these
direct drive turntables are far better than almost anything out there in
my experience.

> and if you have experience with BST tables?

Sorry no.

> I have a Garrard 401/SME for transfering.

I have an old friend with Technics SP10 MKII, Garrard 301, 401, EMT 930,
Thorens TD124 MKII, Marantz SLT12, Sony TTS3000 and I´ve listened to a
lot of LPs and 78s in his listening room.

For my personal taste the mechanical induced vibrations from the motor,
rubber idlers, so on, is above what I find to be tolerable.

When I said that to my friend he disagreed. But the next time I trained
him by letting him play a disk at normal volume and then I substituted
the LP for my Thorens Rumble Measuring Device that lets you play the
turntable without a disk so you can at once hear any noise coming off
the replay chain solo.

Then the penny dropped in my friends head since it was easy for him to
hear the rumble alone and not claim as he did; "It´s coming off the
pressed disk, man!!"

--
Best,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: mastering@xxxxxxxxx

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther