Re: [ARSCLIST] 2GB limit for audio file formats

Eric Jacobs:

> Impulse noise has much higher frequency harmonics than the audio
> signal - these harmonics are not audible.  However, DSP algorithms
> can more clearly distinguish between noise and signal when these
> higher frequency harmonics are present, and then more cleanly
> remove the noise without affecting the signal.

I must point out that there is a lot more to click detection and removal
in the software than losing the slight frequency content above 20 kHz.

I´m thinking how the software uses a combination of time based and
amplitude (energy) based factors that are used in decide what is and is
not an objectionable artifact.

BTW, if a particular software uses only amplitude detection for clicks
then I entirely agree that 192 kHz is a must together with >70 kHz
bandwith, the best I´ve seen, in cartridges.

>  and then more cleanly
> > remove the noise without affecting the signal.

Here I don´t agree at all.

If something is flagged as a click then a good algorithm will remove it
with no audible artifact.

The removal and resynthesisis of the damaged area has nothing whatsoever
to do with any ultrasonic content.

The above 20 kHz might, depending on the detection algorithm used, help
to better LOCALIZE the click but the removal of said click has nothing
whatsoever to do with its frequency content above 20 kHz.

--
Best,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: mastering@xxxxxxxxx

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther