[ARSCLIST] Tape bias (?) (was Re: [ARSCLIST] 2GB limit for audio file formats)

At 10:53 AM 6/25/2005 +0000, Don Cox wrote:
On 25/06/05, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> Unless you're planning on digitizing the bias, I don't see the need
> for recording at a bandwidth that the reproducer isn't reproducing.

Is it possible to digitize the bias? I would expect the player to filter
it out, but if you could capture it, it would be useful for correcting
speed variations.

Subject changed both to reflect change of content and uncertainty about the topic.

If you mean the tape bias, it is certainly measurable in the output of a
suitable analogue recorder; I used it on my Tandberg open-reel decks
(detected by oscilloscope) to verify/refine head alignment. Given a
suitable sampling rate, it would digitize along with the signal.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/