Re: [ARSCLIST] The Naxos case (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright wrongs ...)

At 01:51 PM 6/21/2005 -0400, James L Wolf wrote:
Mike is right, but all this applies to New York only! New York courts in a
New York case. Beyond that , who knows?

It's not quite so simple, I'm afraid. (Remember, intellectual property rights get the big legal bucks.)

Capitol brought the case in New York because that state has the broadest
law and interpretation. I do not know where Capitol Records is
incorporated, but doubt that it is New York (perhaps California since the
headquarters are here; more probably, Delaware). The case was brought in
New York because Capitol chose to do so; anyone selling in New York state
may be sued there. I do not know whether it would be enough to have someone
in New York buy from out of state (e.g., mail order, Internet), but even
that is possible.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/