Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright wrongs: we can't let the music industry suits stifle creativity

At 02:03 PM 6/20/2005 -0400, James L Wolf wrote:

Steve mentioned some copyrights being retrieved, but that was in Europe.
I've never heard of a legitamate PD item being retrieved/recaptured in the US.

Note that "legitimate" is an operative word here. That is, works mistakenly assumed to be public domain have been found still to have protection and have been withdrawn. IIRC, "It's a Wonderful Life" was reissued as PD because the copyright had not been renewed. Later it was found that the music in the film was still under copyright (which had been renewed) and the reissues were withdrawn.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/