Re: [ARSCLIST] AV to DV - PC or Mac?

My experience is that short clips - up to 30 minutes or so - are likely to
be fine. But any sort of anomaly can cause the picture to freeze for a few
frames to a few seconds and to remain out of sync at least to the next
glitch. The result is that capturing a lengthy selection almost always
results in audio anticipating video. It can be corrected in Adobe Premiere
or a similar tool, but the effort involved is prohibitive. I've found an
occasional problem with the standalone, but it's rarely more than a few
frames of error and it is corrected within a second or two; in short, it
needs careful watching to be detectable.

That sounds as if you are capturing to MPEG format, not AVI, and using an external converter such as the Dazzle or Pinnacle PCTV converters. They have problems staying in sync. Get a Canopus converter and you're going to be in perfect sync. Capture to AVI, not MPEG and the sync problems are far less likely to happen too.

I've been using a PC for video for quite some time and once I got rid of
the Pinnacle converter everything has been in perfect sync and I've used
the system to capture up to 4 hours of non stop video and then edit it from
there with no sync problems.

Diamond Productions
Specializing in analog tape & film preservation / restoration in the
digital domain.
Dave Bradley   President