Re: [ARSCLIST] AV to DV - PC or Mac?

Subarus _are_ better... ;)

JW

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Conway [mailto:Jconway@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2005 2:26 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] AV to DV - PC or Mac?

I have to throw my two cents in on this one.  Macs used to be the only
computer platform to do serious audio work.  This had to do with
available software and the way the operating systems for PCs and Macs.
Mac handled audio more efficiently.  With PCs you have to do some
configuration to make them work for audio well.  Basically, you turn off
a lot of automatic background processes on the PC and the Mac platform
doesn't have so much stuff running in the background.

But now with a PC that has a fast processor, sufficient ram, and that
has been set up properly, they are as good or better than Macs.  I
believe the Mac 'prejudice' for audio work is a holdover from when they
were better but that has not been the case in recent years.  Now your
choice should be based on the software you want to run.  The Protools
folks think Mac is the best and there was a time when Protools only ran
on a Mac.  We use Protools on Macs at the Audio Archive and they work
great.  For commercial projects I do on my home studio, I run Sonar 4
(used to be Cakewalk Pro Audio) and I never get crashes and it runs
great.  I've had Protools crash and lock up the Mac.

I think Angie makes a good point about the cost - a pro audio PC can
cost less.  So my point is that they are just computers and all have
evolved enough, meaning better operating systems, cheap ram so you can
have enough to do the work, better software that is more stable, etc.
that the choice is what software you want to use.  Sonar is a multitrack
recorder with lots of plug in support and good included eq and
compressors and that works great.  Saw is great but aren't they out of
business now?  Soundforge is very good and so is Protools.

I believe the opinion that Macs are better is a holdover from when they
were better but is not true any longer and it seems that the people who
really prefer them probably don't like Microsoft or Bill Gates and think
Steve Jobs is cooler.  Or maybe it's like if you've always had a Toyota
you think they are the best and will always have a Toyota, but some
folks have always had Subarus and they think they are the best.

Joe Conway
Technical Director
Naropa University Audio Archive