Re: [ARSCLIST] AV to DV - PC or Mac?

At 09:55 AM 6/17/2005 -0500, Klara Foeller wrote:
Dear Colleagues -

I'm at war with my supervisor on the subject of Macs vs. PCs when it
comes to digitizing analog audio & video.  He has a bias against Mac,
while all my periodical & on-line research, plus many consultations with
colleagues in media archiving, broadcasting and production, clearly
indicates that Mac is the strongly preferred system.

Please send ammunition.  Especially if you can quantify in $$$ and/or
lost productivity.  All apocryphal stories welcome.

I can provide no information on the Mac since I've not used one for over a decade. I will say that after struggling for over a year with the failure of PC software to hold sync, I turned to a standalone recorder. It has proved to be a workhorse both easy to use and sure in its operation. Information on my choice and on the methodology I employ is in the primer at my WWW site.

I do use the PC for some operations, but capture to the standalone's hard
drive, editing there and sending output directly to DVD has proved
practical and efficient. Note that when correction is needed I use analogue
processors between the source and the recorder. While that is somewhat less
flexible than the same operations in the computer, it takes effect in real
time where processing in the computer takes far longer after the capture is
effected. Note, too, that DVD-RAM is a convenient addition where multiple
edits on the same source may be required.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/