Re: [ARSCLIST] turntable recommendations

It's true that you need to give it an extra manual push to get
it to 78 RPM.  There is method behind this madness - the idea
being to minimize the torque applied by the motor to reduce the
affects of motor cogging on the platter speed.

You'll find that many of the high-end tables need to be manually
brought up to speed.  Some, like the Nottingham, leave the motor
in a stalled condition when "on", and when you want to play, you
manually spin the platter to "start".

The lack of speed control is a valid shortcoming of the P78 for
playing "78s" whose record speed differs greatly from 78 (or
78.23) RPM.  This can be remedied with a speed controller, but
that adds considerable cost.  However, the speed controller
gives you more than pitch control, it gives you constant voltage
and frequency independent of what is happening on your power
line.  You can have a very heavy platter, but that still won't
counteract inconsistent power at the motor.  The speed controller
will improve the sound.

There are some third-party semi-automatic lifts (at end of play)
that can be added to a turntable, but I don't have any experience
with these.  But this may be one way to make a manual turntable
semi-automatic.

The Rega P78 may be a better sounding 'table than the Technics
(in my opinion), but it may not have the features you're looking
for if you want pitch control.  The Rega P78 is only $100 more
than the Technics.

Other recommendations:

  - Elberg MD-12 phono preamp (for non-RIAA EQ of 78s)
  - Shure M44-7 cartridge

The Elberg MD-12 only lacks a lateral/vertical switch (if you
don't have any vertically cut records, you don't need the
switch anyway), but is otherwise very easy to use, and the
design and electronics are very high caliber and sound good.
Although the Elberg doesn't give you every last EQ combination,
it does a great job for "getting close" for listening purposes.

The Shure M44-7 is a great bang-for-buck cartridge.  You can
get custom styli for it from Expert Stylus in England so that
you can play just about any record.  Also, the manufacturing
consistency on the Shures is much better than the Stantons.
The Shure is a dynamic cartridge and is harmonically correct
for the most part.  For listening to 78s, it's a hard cartridge
to beat without stepping up to a moving coil.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive