Re: [ARSCLIST] First LP

Jeffrey J Martin wrote:

> Re: ML 4001 is indeed the Mendelssohn, with Nathan Milstein, although it's likely Columbia would have launched
> the LP with a
> series of 10 or 20 titles.
>
> According to the Wall Street Journal of June 21, 1948 ("New Columbia Records," p. 4), "The initial LP catalog will
> consist of 101 records, inlcuding 325 different selections."

Not impossible..Columbia had an entire six-month period of no new recording, thanks to the AFM ban. Those first LP
masters were transferred from the 16" lacquers without benefit of tape, so some of the joins and overlaps are a little
iffy. The first LP we owned was Pictures at an Exhibition, with about a ten-second pause before The Great Gate of
Kiev.

dl