Re: [ARSCLIST] Cow Cow 's return?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dick Spottswood" <dick@xxxxxxxx>
> ----- Message from OldHatRecords1@xxxxxxx on Mon, 6 Jun 2005 18:06:26 EDT
> -----
> To:
> marshallwyatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject:
> Can new technology allow the late great masters to perform once more?
> Play It Again, Vladimir (via Computer)
Note, however, that the last step in this process involved an actual
piano. Will this create a sound file which would allow a sound system
to "impersonate" perfectly the sound of a piano when connected to
an adequate processor?

Actually, I suspect it may someday be possible to select ANY artist,
performing ANY musical work, on whatever instrument he/she/it may
have played...or even any instrument at all! It is just a question
of sufficiently analyzing existing sound recordings (making the
corrections for inadequate recording methods as well as the effects
of the years on the recordings). Once a sound recording becomes a
collection of 1's and 0's, any characteristic of that file can
be subjected to analysis once adequately defined!

And if THAT sounds strange...consider that every solid object
consists of a defined, if huge, set of atomic, even subatomic,
particles...each one of which holds a single defined position in
physical, three-dimensional space. Thus, each object can be
represented by a VERY large set of numbers...which can be
expressed by a VERY VERY large set of 1's and 0's. All that is
necessary is to create a transponder driven by this data which
can place the requisite particles in their defined positions.

We can record and recreate sound by identifying and recording
the variations in air pressure it involves. We can record
images by identifying and recording the light waves and
variations thereof. Since a solid object can be viewed as
a "disruption" in the fabric of the universe, it therefore
should be possible to record and recreate that "disruption"
elsewhere by recording the necessary defining data (once
computers can instantaneously handle numbers of that order!).

So...if my body can be recreated elsewhere (thus transmitted)...
will the replica be alive, or just a prefect, albeit dead,
copy of me? And if it is alive, does it have a soul?

Meanwhile, what about "Bix Plays Puff Daddy's Greatest Hits?"...

Steven C. Barr
...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/