Re: [ARSCLIST] Testing DVDs

All DVD discs are two discs bonded together with an adhesive to form a
single disc, whether they are single-sided, double-sided, single-sided dual
layer, etc.
Delamination, as being discussed in this thread, refers to failure of the
adhesive that binds the two disc halves together.

Joe

             Mike Richter
             <mrichter@xxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             Association for                                            cc
             Recorded Sound
             Discussion List                                       Subject
             <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx         Re: [ARSCLIST] Testing DVDs

             03/06/2005 10:34
             AM

             Please respond to
              Association for
              Recorded Sound
              Discussion List
             <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx

At 09:16 AM 6/3/2005 -0400, Joe_Iraci@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Can anyone confirm that glue failure is actually a problem and DVDs are
>delaminating all over the place. I have subjected 15 brands of DVD-R
discs,
>7 brands of DVD-RW discs, and about 75 DVD movie discs to accelerated
aging
>conditions. The total amount of discs tested was close to 200. Not one
disc
>delaminated.

Delamination should not be a problem on single-sided DVDs and I doubt that
there is serious consideration of two-sided blanks for archiving (even
DVD-RAM). Perhaps another term is intended here, but I am not aware of
"lamination" in production of single-sided recordable DVDs.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/