Re: [ARSCLIST] baking tapes

Hello

Baking your reel to reel tape requires the following:

1- VERY  IMPORTANT !!- Put the tape on a metal reel.   When
transferring the tape to the metal reel, don't allow it to rub against
guides or heads in the tape machine as it will cause the sticky shead to
build up in clumps randomly on the tape, and make it all but impossible
to remove. Wind the tape loosely on the reel.   Reels should be evenly
spaced with an empty reel between each full one.
2- Polyester based tape, pre 1975, should be baked for 8 hours at 130
degrees F.
3- post 1975  tape 5 hours at 130 degrees f.
4 After you have baked the tape for those times, let them cool in the
oven for the same amount of time that they were baked.
5- If tape doesn't playback without squealing, rebake it for those same
times.  If you don't know the age of the tape- the recording contained
on it isn't always an accurate indicator of the tape's age- use the
shorter time to get started.
And if the tape does squeal again , stop  the machine immediately and
clean the residue from the machines' guides and heads. Pressure pads,
too , if it has them.

My Observations :

Not all sticky shead  responds to this - in  the many dozen which I've
successfully treated this way , there have been on or two which wouldn't
clean up. Even with several bakings and with extended times.

I made the best transfer that I could accomplish , stopping the machine
when the squealing started again, and cleaning it well.

I've never treated cassette tape.
 Usually the squealing of cassettes is caused by poor condition
pressure pads,or dirty guides within the cassette itself.
 Purchase a new cassette with a screwed together case and transplant
the tape and hubs to the new case. Glued together cases can be opened
carefully with a sharp tool. The case is split left to right along the
seam. Make sure that the tool isn't magnetised. A good place to start
the split is at the record knockout tab holes.
 Pay attention how the tape is threaded in the new case and follow that
path exactly when installing the tape.

We use a Laboratory grade  incubation oven with extremely exact
temperature control. It's a Fischer Scientific model 516J.
I have heard of individuals using a  convection type residential
kitchen oven with good results. I wouldn't use it unless it was
scrupulously clean.

I  highly recommend the Fischer Oven.

Robert Hodge
Senior Engineer \
Syracuse University Belfer Audio Archive,
Syracuse New York

>> treybunn2@xxxxxxxxx 5/31/2005 10:16:00 AM >>>
Hello all...

Last week, I posted about some reel tapes that were
exhibited signs of sticky shed syndrome.  Someone
mentioned a method involving baking the tapes, which
I'm willing to try.  Could someone post this famous
"recipe" please?

Thanks.

P.S. If there's a different method to use for cassette
tapes, I'll probably need that too at some point (the
project I'm working on deals with both reels and
cassettes).

Trey Bunn
Folklife Resource Center
McKissick Museum