Re: [ARSCLIST] Vermin

At 11:56 AM 5/30/2005, joe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
A second thought on boric acid, I knew someone who bought some kind of
laundry detergent, had boric acid derivative in it, put that down in their
carpet to kill fleas. Had good results but had to replace the vacuum cleaner
every few years. If that was related or not I don't know.

I've been investigating vacuums a bit lately for the construction of the home studio (now done, thank goodness).

Sears for their home Wet/Dry vacs (similar to the trade named "Shop Vac")
recommends the use of a high-efficiency bag AND a HEPA filter when
vacuuming drywall dust. I would suspect that the boric acid powder might be
just as abrasive and fine as the drywall dust.

During construction, one of the bags broke due to sharp objects coming in
at high speed thru the hose, and the HEPA filter captured all the stuff,
but it was a write-off at the end of the project ($30C). The bags ($11C)
captured almost everything until we had the rupture.

This is the best-filtered vacuum I own. There are many HEPA filtered
vacuums on the market. We did some cleanup on a project where the
contractor attacked an equipment room with a Sawzall on drywall after we
had installed all the equipment. For that we bought several of the small 3M
"Toner" or "Copier" vacuums and added the optional HEPA filters.

Also of interest is that there are designs where the dirt goes through the
fan and other designs where the dirt goes into the bag first. Most upright
vacuums seem to pull the dirt through the fan and blow it into the bag.
Shop Vacs and at least the Kenmore canister vacuum I have has the dirt
sucked into the bag/drum and then the clean air (i.e.post filter) is what
goes through the blower/fan.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/ Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX