Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital recorder for transferring LP collection

At 12:39 PM 5/21/2005, Not Me wrote:
I have a home collection of classical LPs in excellent condition, and I
would like to transfer them to CDs for convenience and to avoid record wear.
 I just want to get them transferred with moderate effort, and with little
or no digital reprocessing.  I just want to transfer one or two at a time as
I feel like listening to them, so I'm not talking about an industrial scale.

There are two approaches, and I've used both. I now prefer the second.

(1) Use manual on the CD recorder (I use Sony CDR-W33s which are wonderful
and sadly now discontinued). Automagic track marking is a disappointment
and will continue to be because of rumble and groove noises.

(2) Use a computer, spend 5 minutes dropping track marks, cut the space
where you flipped records, fade up the beginning and the end -- total 10
minutes. Burn CD in 2 minutes. Magix Audio Cleaning Lab will let you opt
out of the cleaning part and is still a great buy IMHO. I use the mid-level
Magix product, Samplitude. Their high-end is Sequoia. I bought a copy of
AUdio Cleaning Lab about a year ago and was very impressed with bang-for-buck.
You will need a great soundcard. The M-Audio or CardDeluxe stuff is a good
bang for buck, also. I use RME-Audio.com's "Multiface". You'll continue to
use your existing RIAA preamp.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/ Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX