Re: [ARSCLIST] Collector descriptions. The CD collector

steven austin wrote:

> While we're wondering about that one...would anyone know what the
> current last commercially-released 78RPM pressing in the US might have
> been?
>
> The last one I saw was "Mr. Bojangles/Uncle Charlie Interview No 2 &
> Spanish Fandango" by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band on LIBERTY 56197
> (LB-2889/2890-78) from 1970.
>
> Steven Austin

There have been many others, most of them promotional items..I wonder whether a
better question would be the last "regular issue" 78 or the last one(s) offered
for commercial sale? I have the "Theme from Summer of 42" on 78, issued in
Canada only, and a promo 78 of two tracks from United Artists' "Hooray For
Hollywood" (mid 70s). Robert Crumb and his Cheap Suit Serenaders made 3 78s,
which were offered for commercial sale and which are now very hard to find.
Rhino put out a couple of box sets of 78 reissues of 50s and 60s hits for juke
box owners, Symposium was pressing vinyls of old 78 masters a few years ago and
Historic Masters continues to press rare old vocals. The last regular 78s in
the US were around 1957-58, in Canada 1959-60, and eBay continuously turns up
South American 78 pressings of Neil Sedaka from the early 60s....as well,
Indian 78s of the Beatles pop up from time to time.

dl