[ARSCLIST] How to digitize LPs at home ?

Hi,
I have this extensive record collection (33/45/78) that I haven't
listened to in 2 years because I've been moving around a lot and I just
want to digitize some of them to listen on an mp3 player. This is by no
means archiving them (I consider them in their best format right now)!
It's only for listening purposes. And although in my past life I was a
sound editor, I am NOT PICKY about tunes on my mp3 player!
I'm a little confused tho, how to hook up my potential record player to
my computer. At this point I don't even have a functioning player so
info on what kind of player I might be looking for is helpful too. I
don't want anything expensive. I'd rather buy some functioning player at
a garage sale and some how hook that into my lap top/desktop. BOth my
computers are not fancy - the only Ins are mini. Shareware suggestions
are also very useful.

Thanks much!

Siue