Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloging sound recordings

On Fri, 6 May 2005, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

> So, instead of bashing the old systems for their content, let us find ways to
> translate their fields into new fields in new systems. Interactive entry
> would automatically enter the various delimiters that are so typical of the
> old systems. They were needed, because the logic to control the print codes
> for the cards intended for searching was quite primitive. By all means, do
> still use them, but get a better interface for entry.

If there isn't a form of interactive entry, why?

I believe I understand the differentiation between the format (MARC),
rules for entry (AACR) and the interfaces for both the user and the
cataloger. It seems to me that all of these functions need
to be viewed systemically, and not in isolation. For example, it seems to me
that AACR 2 exists to feed the MARC format. The MARC format, in turn,
determines the information sets available to the user interfaces.

However, there are new components in the system, most importantly, the
computer, which can free us to some degree, from the linearity of our
information systems of the past. Then we have the added consideration
of the exponential growth of information, coupled with a huge backlog of a
body of uncataloged information, sound recordings, that, until fairly
recently, were considered ephemeral by libraries. True, some institutions
decided early on that recordings should be a part of libraries, but consider
how most Universities relegated recordings collections to the music
department...for example, at this University, it was only about 30 years
ago that the Library took over responsibility for the recordings
collection.

As for the notion of bashing...

I like to think of it of as questioning.

Karl