From: "Matt Snyder" <msnyder@xxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloging sound recordings

"Steven C. Barr" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It is harder to say for an LP...however, standard discographic data could
include:
Label
Country
Catalog number
Matrix number
Other numbers (control#, side#, etc.)
If from an album or set, disc/side number for side being catalogued
Take (including take shown if different)
Date recorded (indicate if estimated)
Location, including studio if known and applicable
Actual artist if known

I would add that a really complete discographic entry for a classical recording session would, like a jazz session, include the names of every member of the orchestra and the instruments they play. This information is rarely if ever included on record sleeves and inserts, and may not even be available in company archives, but it's important if a trumpet student wants to trace every available recording of, say, Adolph Herseth, or if a clarinet student wants to trace the development of the clarinet section of the Philadelphia Orchestra.

I want to clarify that I wasn't saying that library catalog records SHOULD
have all this additional information. Given the workload of the average
tech services librarian, they simply don't have the time to put all this
other information in (even if they have access to it!), let alone figure
out how to have MARC accommodate it all. I was trying to say that all
these other extra helpings of data are properly in the realm of
discography, not cataloging.

Also, as Steven Barr noted, the IJS listing is really a catalog, not a
discography. In jazz, discographies center on the recording session, not
the sound container.

Matt Snyder
Music Archivist
Wilson Processing Project
The New York Public Library

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.5 - Release Date: 5/4/2005

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.5 - Release Date: 5/4/2005