Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloging sound recordings

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Steven C. Barr wrote:

> The information included in a descriptive catalog is based on
> decisions made by the cataloguing party, once it goes beyond a
> set of essential standard fields (which may be defined in the
> MARC program?). Keep in mind that most people would view a
> catalog as something which tells which phonorecords the catalogee
> has, and where they can be found, and little thought is given to
> parties accessing the catalog as a source of discographic data.
> This makes the inclusion of discographic data "icing on the cake"
> so to speak.

Perhaps so, but do you think that since local catalogs can be viewed, in
most instances, globally, that the notion of a "catalog" has changed. By
definition it is "a list, register, or complete enumeration..." OED. Is
not a discography just a selective list...or a selective catalog. Perhaps
the notion of "ownership" of the item was more important in the days of
cards...information which could be viewed locally...however we did have
printed volumes of the cards of some libraries.

 Obviously, items like personnel, tune titles and
> the like may interest some catalog users, who may be looking
> for records with certain sidemen. In fact, this is why I would
> suggest that ARSC assist with some sort of specifications for
> the core fields of catalogs and discographies!

I would agree, even if Foreman and Rust have given us much to think about.

> 4) I don't see how it would be possible...or why it would be
> useful...to create subject headings for individual phonorecords.

One possible explanation for this has to do with form of,  and what might
have been the original purpose for the writing of the music...say
Ballet...or instrumentation...for example, you might want to find a list
(catalog? discography?) of all works recorded for the instrumentation of
flute and bassoon. I do not understand the rationale for the subject
heading of Ballet.

> A non-fiction book will definitely have a subject...it will be
> "about" some specific thing. Phonorecords really don't, with a
> few specific exemptions. Where, for example, would one file
> "One O'Clock Jump?" Under Timepieces? Chronology? Physical
> Exercise (based on "jump")?

However, how would one compile a discography of works that have some
aspect of time in the title...or are about time...but then all music is
about time.

I am reminded of the Musical Book of Lists...For my 25+ years in radio I
developed a list of works about Halloween, another on works supposedly (as
expressed by their respective composers) based on art or artists.

How might a catalog help with such considerations? Or should one expect
that sort of information from a catalog?

Karl