Re: [ARSCLIST] USO "Rainbo" discs

I recently transferred a similar USO disc.  I believe these discs have cardboard cores that were then coated with an acetate compound similar to or the same as radio transcription discs.  As a precaution, I made a transfer from the disc just as it came to me. I then hand cleaned the disc with the Disc Doctor system and made another transfer. Since I don't have a vacuum unit, that was all I did.  Everything went OK and I got a good sound print. I'd be interested in hearing how others have dealt with these.

Matthew Barton <mbarton@xxxxxxx> wrote:I'm looking at a pair of discs that were recorded by WWII servicemen at USO events, probably in recording booths typical of that time--the kind that you could mail home to your family. They are coated cardboard discs made by the "Rainbo Record" company of Los Angeles that have "USO" printed at the top over a scene of a Navy man, a WAC, an Army man, and a Marine. One is in good shape, the other shows some cracking.

Does anybody know if these records should be handled in a manner significantly different than one would handle other comparable discs of this era?

Matthew Barton
American Folklife Center
The Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20540-4610
phone: (202) 707-1733
fax: (202) 707-2076
email: mbarton@xxxxxxx

RA Friedman, Archivist
Freedman Jewish Music Archive
University Of Pennsylvania

Webmaster, Yiddish-American Digital Archive
(Not affiliated with University of Pennsylvania)
http://yiddishsong.org
Restored 78s in Real Audio

Yahoo! Mail Mobile