Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloging sound recordings

Another underlying issue, which to me seems to be the elephant in the
room, is that nobody is making the rather important distinction between
cataloging and discography. I wouldn't 't expect a MARC catalog record to
tell me who was conducting a particular recording of a Beethoven piano
concerto, but that is exactly the sort of information that I would expect
out of a good discography. No matter what anybody here says, MARC
cataloging as we have known it is here to stay for quite a long time, if
only because it is an international standard and such things have their
own substantial momentum.  We CAN, however, definitely work on improving
the accuracy and production methods of discographies. See
www.jazzdiscography.com for further expounding on this topic, at least on
the jazz end of things.

Matt Snyder
Music Archivist