Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloging sound recordings

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Thom Pease wrote:

> You know, I've heard no mention of this in the current
> discussion, but there is another organization besides
> MLA working on these issues.  That's the OLAC (Online
> Audiovisual Catalogers)--they seem to have a lot more
> pull in the broader cataloging community.
> Organizations like them, MLA, and AES have projects
> they are working on.  Maybe if efforts at reform were
> done by lobbying or collaborating with them, MLA/MOUG,
> LC, and OCLC, it wouldn't be just sound and fury.

As for working with groups of catalogers, I wonder, how do you tell
someone who has devoted their life to a way of doing things, that
perhaps there are many who believe we now need something different?
How would you suggest bringing ideas to those groups?

To expand a bit on an idea offered by Steve Smolian...I wonder if a
system for data entry that was simple enough that individual collectors
to share their information with and in the same way institutions do might
not be a worthy project for ARSC? What if the system was free, like HTML?

Do any of these ideas seem worth considering?

Perhaps some of these questions could be considered through the use of an
NEH grant?

I hope these postings will stimulate discussion.

Karl