Re: [ARSCLIST] Restoration Software

Algorithmix made the declicker and decrackler for waves and sells their own
restoration plugins.

This is what their sales person told me in an email: "The Waves product is
based on a subset of the algorithms used in our pro-Descratcher, so there
actually is a difference between them (both in quality and price...)."

I am using their declicker and decrackler with good results but i still am
not a 100% comfortable in using the denoiser which almost always will take
some of the signal material away when you use it, but it works a lot better
than the other denoisers i have used before.

their webpage is www.algorithmix.com

Erik
Notre Dame Archives

At 12:51 PM 4/28/2005, you wrote:
Eric wrote:
> Joe wrote:

>> I recall one of the presenters at the conference gave Waves the
>> best overall rating in his evaluation. You may have missed that
>> presenter.

> I believe the presenter only tested broadband noise removal,
> not click/pop/crackle removal.  The presenter's conclusion
> will be less applicable to phonograph record restoration.

The Waves bundle is *reputed* to have a very good declicker and a
wonderful decrackler. Some have gone so far to claim that they are
the equal of the declickers/decracklers found on the ultra-expensive
software/firmware tools such as Cedar and Sonic Solutions (or whatever
Sonic Solutions is now called.) But I don't know the accuracy of these
claims -- people make all kinds of unverified claims, including yours
truly.

Interestingly, the Waves denoiser (dehisser) is not considered that
good, but again that's just what I heard through the "grapevine".

I don't believe anyone has done a definitive, objective study of the
various available declickers/decracklers/dehissers suitable for 78
restoration. If such a study has been done, I'd certainly like to see
the results.

Jon Noring

(Hasn't Waves been renamed or bought by another company? Is it now
called Algorithmix?)