Re: [ARSCLIST] Rezerex presentation AES NYC 4/12(was Re: Baking tapes and high frequencies)

Let me chime in with a couple of thoughts.

1. Ampex's analysis of this problem lead to a solution to it.  Baking.  It
worked.

If this analysis is wrong, how come it is effective?

2.  Tape in a pack is tightly wound on a reel which has sticky-shed
syndrome.  After baking, the pack is loose, proven when the end of a baked
tape is pulled.  The tape moves back (unevenly) to a tight pack.  The
diameter of the pack is lower.

Something is removed from the tape. What, if not water vapor?

Has anyone analyzed what evaporates from the tape during the baking process?

I heard this presentation at the recent ARSC conference.  My feeling was,
even if it works, it's  more expensive way to arrive at the same station, a
station at which we've already arrived.

Furthermore, he made unproven, counter experiential assertions.  High
frequency loss is hardly catastrophic, particularly on recordings from AM
and the like.  Someone recently posted a citation which indicated a 1/2 db
loss at some high frequency.  Another said whatever loss there may be is due
to slight dimensional change and unlikely in most cases.

Rebaking, in my experience, does not seem to affect further longevity.

There were others I don't recall but which registered with me at the time in
the big question-mark portion of the hard drive between my ears.  I got the
distinct feeling this was said to create a mind set that we were killing our
tapes and his process would rescue them.

Some tim e- not too much- should be spent looking at previously baked tapes
to determine how they have survived.

A friend went up after the talk to inspect this fellow's examples.  He told
me that the strip with the back coating removed had a corrugated reverse
side.  What could have caused that?

In all, this seems a solution to an already solved problem, one which, even
if effective, is no more so than our present, far more inexpensive process.

Steven Smolian