[ARSCLIST] Archiving large WAVE files to optical media

I have 1.2 GB WAVE transfers to archive, and the client requires
storage on optical media.

1.  Split the file and store across two archival CD-Rs
2.  Store the file on an alternate media like DVD+R or DVD-R

Pros/Cons - Scenario 1:

    Cons:
    Splitting the file makes any future digital migration
    clumsy because the files should be merged back into a
    single file if denser archival media is available in
    the future.  The storage costs double since 2x the
    number of CD-Rs are required.  Data compression is not
    a viable option.

    Pros:
    Storing to archival grade CD-Rs with a safety copy
    provides maximum data protection.

Pros/Cons - Scenario 2:

    Cons:
    Unknown media life - this pretty much kills this option.

    Pros:
    Lower cost.  Improved data migration in the future.

Further Considerations:

Lacking any further information, and if committed to optical
media, Scenario 1 is the only real choice.  However...

NIST published the results of DVD+/-R HALTs (Highly
Accelerated Lift Tests) in the Journal of NIST, Volume 109,
Number 5, September-October 2004, "Stability Comparison of
Recordable Optical Discs - A Study of Error Rates in Harsh
Conditions".  One of the samples in the study called "D2"
showed very promising archival properties comparable to
archival CDs.  I've made several attempts at contacting the
researchers at NIST who wrote this report, but have not
succeeded in learning the type of DVD corresponding to "D2".
The report states, "Unfortunately, it is very difficult for
customers to identify these more stable media." (page 523
in the Journal article).  Unfortunately, NIST does not shed
any light on how to identify these DVDs either.

This is one of the most valuable reports I've seen to date
on DVD archival properties, and is very important for
archives who are committed to optical media for certain
projects.

If anyone knows more about this NIST report and the actual
DVDs used for the tests, I would greatly appreciate that
information.