Re: [ARSCLIST] Archiving CLV versus CAV transfer

Thanks for the sanity check.

In this case, the client wants to archive to optical media.  So
media cost becomes a factor.  An Audograph CAV transfer is about
22.5 minutes in raw format, and about 42 minutes when processed
into the CLV format.  At 24/88.2 you can just squeeze the CAV
transfer onto a CD-R.  But the CLV would need to be put onto
DVD+/-R or split across two CD-Rs, so the storage media
cost doubles if you have a large quantity to archive and you
want to archive to CD-R instead of DVD+/-R.

I agree that the CAV format has limited value, even with the all
the groove radii data.  So the processed CLV format seems like the
more useful/valuable content to archive.

Presuming that we archive the processed CLV format, the remaining
question is whether to split it across two CD-Rs, or store it on
a single DVD.  I tried various lossless compression algorithms,
but there's no way you can compress the CLV to fit on a CD-ROM.
Besides, compressing data is generally frowned upon for archiving.

Archival quality CD-Rs can be found (Mitsui, Taiyo Yuden).  But
the long-term life of DVDs remains unknown.  I hate to split the
files for CD-R storage, because this will make automation of
future digital migration clumsy.

Any further comments about CLV versus CAV archiving appreciated.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive