[ARSCLIST] Fwd: How Long Do You Want Digital Storage Media to Last?

Group,

I haven't been reading my listserv mail lately, but in case this hasn't been reported already, the following will be of interest.

Joe

Joseph Bartl
Music & Sound Recording Team 1
Special Materials Cataloging Division
Library of Congress
202-707-0013

"It sometime comes as a shock to non-mathematicians to learn that infinity has different sizes." --Philip N. Johnson-Laird
joba@xxxxxxx

>>> Simon Tanner < simon.tanner@xxxxxxxxx > 03/31/05 2:34 AM >>>
This article by Paul Festa links to a US Government survey that offers
people the opportunity to register their preferred longevity for optical
disks. Quote from survey: "The Government Information Preservation Working
Group (GIPWoG) is working with the National Institute of Standards and
Technology (NIST) to establish a long-term, or archival, standard
measurement for recordable CD and DVD media".

Can I please ask all who care about this to go and complete the survey as
this will have an influence upon the industry. If all we get is better
labelling that would be a start - if we get the 40 years longevity that
would be something really helpful.

Regards,
Simon Tanner
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kdcs/
+++++++++++

The Survey: http://www.dvda.org/html/nist_survey.php

The article:
Should optical discs last forever?
By Paul Festa
http://news.com.com/Should+optical+discs+last+forever/2100-1041_3-5645832.html

Would you like your digital-storage media to last 20 years, 25 years, 30
years, 35 years or 40 years?
If you're an organization or government agency, the U.S. government and an
optical-disc industry group would like you to answer that question in a
quick survey.

Simon Tanner
Director, King's Digital Consultancy Services
King's College London
Kay House, 7 Arundel Street, London WC2R 3DX
tel: +44 (0)7793 403542
email: simon.tanner@xxxxxxxxx
www.kcl.ac.uk/kdcs/